eKhaya eKasi means ‘home in the hood’ in isiXhosa. It is an Art & Education Centre in Khayelitsha, South Africa, a township about 30 minutes from the Cape Town CBD.
It is home to The heART of a Woman program in Cape Town, South Africa and is as a multi-purpose community centre in a residential area of Makhaza. It is run and staffed by women living in the townships and serves over 400 local residents.
eKhaya eKasi provides the following activities, programs and working space for the community:
- An arts and crafts program – beadwork, silk screening
- The heART of a Woman Project (thoawSA), a mobile photography & social media development program
- After School Children’s Program
- Health & health education (HIV/AIDS)
- Rooftop Vegetable Garden
- Burial Society
- Meals on Wheels
- and more
Gifts and Tours with a Social Impact:
In order to support the programs and become self-sustaining, it generates income through it’s on-site art boutique and through tourism. The art boutique focuses on Folk Art and handmade crafts by artists in women’s skills development & thoawSA programs, from the community and from other areas of South Africa.
The goal is not only to draw tourists into an area that did not previously have tourism attractions and offer an authentic cultural exchange but to provide economic opportunity and sustainable income to the artists and residents that partner and work with the centre.
- Traditional South African cooking class
- Traditional South Africa meals for group lunches
- Beadwork class
- Musical performances
- Township Tours
- Djembe class (African drumming)
Every sale and visit offer travellers to Cape Town and Khayelitsha an opportunity to make a difference and help improve the lives of those impacted by poverty.
All classes and tourism opportunities must be booked in advance.
Landline: 021 801 9523 | International: dial 27 021 801 9523
Lulama Sihlabeni, director
- In South Africa: 083 681 0604 | International – 27 083 681 0604
- Email: lulushil (at) gmail (dot) com
- Web: eKhaya eKasi
- Twitter: Lulusihl
- Skype available on request
Nwabisa Ndongeni, THOAW Project South Africa coordinator
- In South Africa: 078 055 6245 | International – 27 078 055 6245
- Email: nwabisa_ndongeni (at) yahoo (dot) com
- Twitter: Nwabisaee3
Busisiwe Dalingozi, manager
- In South Africa call – 073 020 8256 | International – 27 073 020 8256
- Email: b.dalingozi (at) gmail (dot) com
- Twitter: BusiePlata
Read: Beyond Cape Town, in the ‘Heart of Khayelitsha‘, a photo essay by Andrea Rees